- Music Classes & Lessons
- Group Classes & Ensembles
- Private Lessons
- Early Childhood
- Summer Camps
- View by Instrument/Age
- Why Choose Merit
- Community Programs
- Selective Programs
- Chicago Musical Pathways
Merit Music in Communities (MMiC)
Bringing transformative, high-quality music education to schools and community centers across Chicago.
We’re Teaming Up with Schools & Community Centers
Launched in 1984, Merit Music in Communities (MMiC) provides high-quality music education at 30 schools and community centers throughout Chicago.
In many cases, the MMiC program serves as a student’s first step on a lifetime journey of musical involvement and appreciation.
MMiC continually engages children and families in underrepresented and often under-resourced communities where the need is greatest and access most limited.
Merit and MMiC have filled this need for tens of thousands of children over nearly 40 years.
school and community sites
average value per student
"I see our Merit program students bubble up with pride every time they perform before the entire school. I see that their practice and hard work pays off. They learn to be gritty in the process and become better students as well. All of our Merit program students have great attendance, and they are all recognized for their high levels of citizenship and service within the classroom."
Merit offers a wide variety of programming options for our community partners.
We work with each school or community center to tailor programming to their individual preferences and resources.
MMiC offers group instruction for:
- General music
- World percussion
Ensembles, Group Classes, & Private Lessons
Our most intensive programs provide:
- Large ensemble rehearsals (band/orchestra/choir)
- Smaller sectional rehearsals
- Group classes
- Individual lessons
Removing Additional Barriers
In order to further reduce financial barriers to music education, in some cases, Merit offers:
- Low-cost or free instrument rentals
- Discounted music supplies
- Transportation assistance
- Alfred Nobel Elementary School
- Augustus H. Burley Elementary School
- Burbank Elementary School
- Jonathan Burr Elementary School
- Carson Elementary School
- Chicago Friends School
- Child’s Voice*
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
- Frank W. Gunsaulus Scholastic Academy
- Frederic Chopin Elementary School
- James Hedges School
- James Otis Elementary
- James Ward Elementary School
- Kinzie Elementary School*
- LaSalle Language Academy
- NSSEO/Terrace Elementary*
- Oliver S. Westcott Elementary School†
- Orozco Elementary School
- Philip D. Armour Elementary School
- Proviso Mathematics & Science Academy
- St. Bartholomew School
- St. Sabina Academy
- Trinity School for the Deaf at Children of Peace*
Interested in Partnering with Merit at Your School?
Give the Gift of Music
Your support helps provide high-quality music education in schools and community centers across Chicago.