A.N. & Pearl G. Barnett Chamber Music Competition
Sunday, March 29, 2020
Anne & Howard Gottlieb Hall
The eighth annual A.N and Pearl G. Barnett Chamber Music Competition will be held on Sunday, March 29, 2020, in Anne & Howard Gottlieb Hall at Merit School of Music in Chicago.
The competition is open to musicians aged 18 and under with two divisions:
- Strings and Piano
- Winds, Brass, and Percussion
Contestants will be competing for $11,000 in cash prizes. There are prizes for winners in each of the two divisions, as well as an award for the overall winner. There is also a special award for the top finishing group from Merit School of Music.
The Barnett Chamber Music Competition is free and open to the public.
Barnett awards a monetary prize to the top ensemble of competition, as well as to the 1st and 2nd place winners within each division. Monetary amounts are to be determined, and this page will be updated when more information is available.
+ The Barnett Chamber Competition Grand Award: $5,250 (Includes $2,250 Division prize)
+ Strings and Piano Division Winner: $2,250
+ Strings and Piano 2nd Place: $1,000
+ Winds, Brass, and Percussion Division Winner: $2,250
+ Winds, Brass, and Percussion 2nd Place: $1,000
+ Merit School of Music Ensemble Award: $1,500
- Ensembles may consist of 3 to 6 musicians.
- Competitors must be 18 or younger on March 29, 2020.
- A maximum of one pianist is allowed per ensemble.
- No individual may compete in more than one ensemble.
- Ensemble members can perform on various instruments within the same ensemble.
- All performances must be acoustic; no microphones or electric amplification will be allowed.
- Ensemble division placements are made by Barnett Chamber Music Competition staff.
- Ensembles must prepare a program of no less than 10 minutes and no more than 15 minutes.
- Repertoire must contain a minimum of two contrasting movements from at least two separate chamber works.
- Individual movements and/or stand-alone pieces must be performed in their entirety, although repeats may be omitted.
- Repertoire must feature all members of the ensemble in each piece.
- Once program information is submitted, no changes will be allowed to repertoire, performance order, or personnel.
Applications must be received no later than March 11, 2020. There is an entry fee of $100 per ensemble.