Early Childhood Attendance Policies
- Any student who misses three consecutive classes without alerting the Early Childhood Program Manager or teacher may be removed from the class roster
- Please contact the Early Childhood Program Manager, Ms. Amy Riske, 312-267-4467, as soon as possible to find alternative class times that you would be able to attend (see make-up classes below)
- A total of two make-up classes per semester are permitted so that the class culture will grow.
- In order to prevent over-booking any singular class, please do not attend a make-up class without first contacting the administration.
- All make-up classes must be completed by the last week of the semester.
Music Master 2 Families:
- In order to stay current with the curriculum from week to week, please plan your make-up classes to take place within the same week as the class you intend to miss.
If you plan to discontinue your class:
- Please alert Student Services in writing.
Instrumental & Vocal Music Attendance Policy: (Voice, Piano, Band, Strings)
Instrumental & Vocal Music Families
- Students are allowed up to 3 absences per semester and can be taken for any reason
- Though you are not required to report absences, please do let your teacher and/or Program Manager know whenever your student will be absent whenever possible
- If your student is marked “tardy” to class three times it will be considered the equivalent of one absent day and will count against your 3 day allowance
- If your student will be performing in a concert, attendance is mandatory for the dress rehearsal and the concert. Students are also required to attend the first day of a new semester. Absences are not allowed on any of these mandatory attendance days.
Students must arrive on time and attend all classes each week.
If you know your child will be absent in advance:
- Fill out an Absence Approval Form at least two weeks in advance and return the form to the front desk or Conservatory Director. The form is also available throughout the year in the Student Services office or at the front desk.
If your child is absent unexpectedly:
- Please call immediately so that we are aware of the student’s whereabouts and follow-up with the Absence Approval Form.
Examples of Excused Absences:
- Musical performance
- Academic requirement
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Student illness
- Family emergency
Examples of Unexcused Absences:
- Athletic Events
- Too much homework
Failure to submit an Absence Approval Form or to phone in an unplanned absence may result in an “unexcused” absence. After one unexcused absence or three excused absences, the student and his/her parents will be called in for a meeting. At this time the student’s future in the program will be determined. Any student asked to leave the program may have his/her Private Lesson Passport revoked.
PRIVATE LESSON ABSENCE POLICY
Private Lesson attendance policies:
- There are no excused absences for private lessons.
- Students are expected to be present and on time to all private lessons. Families are responsible for payment of all lessons whether or not the student is in attendance.
- Private lesson teachers are not required to reschedule lessons due to student absences or tardiness. However, make-up lessons can be given with instructor discretion.
- As a courtesy, if a student is unable to attend a scheduled lesson, please contact the individual instructor directly at least 24 hours in advance. If the instructor cancels the lesson or is late, the teacher is responsible for making up that lesson time.
- Merit may dismiss any student from private lessons with three consecutive absences without notification; who has a pattern of absences; who is consistently tardy; or who fails to adhere to their payment schedule.